Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Hat Ear

Yea, you read that right, H-A-T E-A-R.

By definition, hat ear occurs when the ears are compressed against the head, causing pain in the upper and middle portions of the ear. This malady often occurs in chemo patients who wear hats pulled down over their ears to hide hair loss. Hat ear pain can last for hours after hat removal. Much like bent ear syndrome, hat ear can make the ears sensitive to the touch.

Remedies for Hat Ear:
  • Don't wear a hat.
  • Wear baseball caps and to hell with your bald head.
  • Wear do-rags and scarves.
  • Use a 3-nch wide elastic headband to protect the ears.
  • Wigs.
********

This goofiness has been rolling around in my head all day as I've been writing more serious articles on all-natural teeth care and life skills management type stuff. I do have a mild case of hat ear at the moment because I sometimes forget to wear my headband. Next to my soft cotton caps, that headband is my best purchase.

This might seem like a goofy blog post but this blog keeps track of not only how I'm feeling but also my ideas for my book. Having a chronological record helps as a journal and I try to include any epiphany-type tips that strike my fancy.

I do want to share another one with anyone reading this. I was trolling on the net the other day, looking for ideas for a mom-fashion article. I came across a great site with a tip to help soothe dry chapped skin. Got that here - thanks evil chemo!

So I jumped at this solution. Grab a microwaveable bowl and squirt some of your favorite lotion into the bowl. Pop it into the microwave for 10 seconds and rub it into your hands. The warm lotion is comfortably soothing. So I told my Mom about this, told Sue and I've still yet to try it on myself :) My hands are so dry that my knuckles cracked open when I bumped them against the plastic laundry basket.

Cancer patient tips are done for the day.

Drop a check in the mail, willya ;)

2 comments:

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

Hi Sharon
Like your blog's new look..
s

Renee said...

Check's in the mail.

Hugs are being sent your way.

Renee