Wednesday, August 26, 2009

One Year

It's been one year since my mastectomy. Actually, 1 year and 6 days. I spent the last 5 days in Ocean City with Bill's mom, making a concerted effort to forget the previous year of pain and sorrow. This time last year I was trying to push myself up in the bed like a turtle stuck on my back.

I remember every minute of those first days - time blurred when I started chemo. I do remember that in just a week or so from now, I found Renee who seemed to be working in tandem with me. Surgery the same day, eval's the same day, and 4 sessions of chemo at exactly the same day and time. I had two more than she did - lucky her :) Congrats on your one year Renee!!

I have some really incredible pictures to post of the surf in OC during the hurricane. It tore up the beach but southern storms don't usually remove sand. They bring it back whereas a nor'easter takes it away. The surf was extremely high. We didn't see adverse weather from the storm - just monster waves.

We'll do pics instead of getting mired in the one year business. I just don't feel like thinking about it right now.






























The ocean hacked out what we called a "cake" - a chunk of raised sand the width of the beach. This chunk is still there. The really cool part was the tidal channel up near the dunes. This thing had a serious current, similar to those you see on a lazy river. Very dangerous rip current at the entrance of this channel to the ocean - where the guy in the grey shorts in standing. Parents congregated there for two days watching the kids. The lifeguard was out of his chair constantly saving people from the rip currents.

Literature often uses the term "angry ocean" to describe all sorts of waves and boating. The ocean was definitely angry this past weekend with the onslaught of Hurricane Bill.

















The hurricane was located between Bermuda and MD at this point.



















The noise from these crashing waves was so loud that we often couldn't hear each other sitting right side by side. It made a popping noise at times - almost like a loud slap. We'd jump every time. Pictures really don't do the waves justice so I took video as well. I filmed a surfer for perspective.

No comments: