Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Hair Drama Redux

I gave my hair a little month long break hair before I attempted putting anything other than shampoo on it. It's temperamental after chemo. My hair has always been temperamental when it comes to color. Natural red highlights tend to take over on a whim.

So yesterday I decided to use the "Opps" coloring removal kit to get my hair back to its original color. I want a lighter shade of brown or blonde. I'm so not used to NOT having foiled hair that one shade just bugs me. Don't get me wrong, any hair of ANY color works good for me, except that I'm not a fan of brown (case in point, I've colored my hair for the past 20 some years or so).

Open the box and mix it up - this is some of the stinkiest stuff every created. Follow the directions, put in on for 20 minutes and go back to writing. I checked the mirror after about 10 minutes and almost had heart palpitations. Not only was the brown gone but my stupid hair was now a light strawberry blonde - with emphasis on the berry.

Two choices - scream and cry or add more stripper to my hair. I did another round of hair color stripping with very little changes. So I'm appropriately horrifed but trying to remain calm. I've got one box of ash blonde hair color and another of a darker shade of brown. I figure between the two I can fix whatever wacky color appears on my head.

I rinse and rinse and wash the gunk out, rinse again and wash my hair again. It's now the texture of straw. I love how the kits say do a skin and strand test. Trust me, when your hair becomes light Bozo clown orange, you don't care about strand tests. On goes the ash blonde, cross my fingers and set the timer to 25.

So I'm writing, trying to keep my mind off this nightmare and the fact that I'm supposed to get Steffie from swim practice in about 30 to 40 minutes. 5 minutes in, I couldn't wait anymore. I ran into the bathroom to check the damage and lo and behold............

My hair was EXACTLY the same color as when I started 1 1/2 hours earlier.

No harm done, I guess :)

2 comments:

Daria said...

I guess it's good that it's the same color as when you started but it's too bad too.

Good luck with the next color.

Renee said...

Hey there!

I'm with you on not liking the single color. I miss my foil coloring!

However, I am so thankful that I have something up there that makes me feel less like a cancer patient.

I'm getting caught up on the blogs - and I'm hoping that things are going well for you!